Government Advice for the Tourism, Hospitality and Leisure Sector

On Monday 4 January, the Prime Minister announced that from 5 January, a new national lockdown would be introduced in England. The  has been published and the main points regarding the national measures are listed below.

  • Travel – You must not leave your home unless you have a reasonable excuse (e.g. for work or education purposes). If you need to travel you should:
    • stay local (avoid travelling outside of your village, town or the part of a city where you live)
    • reduce the number of journeys you make overall
    • walk or cycle where possible
    • plan ahead and avoid busy times and routes on public transport
    • avoid car sharing with anyone from outside your household or your support bubble
  • Staying away from home overnight– You cannot leave your home or the place where you are living for holidays or overnight stays unless you have a reasonable excuse for doing so. This means that holidays in the UK and abroad are not allowed. This includes staying in a second home or caravan, if that is not your primary residence. This also includes staying with anyone who you don’t live with unless they’re in your support bubble.
  • International travel– You can only travel internationally where you first have a legally permitted reason to leave home. In addition, If you are legally permitted to travel, you should look at the rules in place at your destination and the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) travel advice. Other countries have closed borders and may further restrict movement or bring in new rules including testing requirements with little warning.

Businesses and venues which must close

To reduce social contact, the regulations require some businesses to close and impose restrictions on how some businesses provide goods and services. The businesses required to close include:

  • non-essential retail (click and collect and delivery services are allowed)
  • hospitality venues (these businesses can continue to provide food and non-alcoholic drinks for takeaway (until 11pm), click-and-collect and drive-through. Alcohol can continue to be provided through delivery.
  • accommodation such as hotels, hostels, guest houses and campsites, except for specific circumstances
  • leisure and sports facilities
  • entertainment venues
  • indoor attractions
  • animal attractions
  • personal care facilities
  • community centres and halls

Working safely during COVID-19

Restaurants, pubs, bars

Even though these businesses must close they can still offer takeaway, click and collect, drive-through and delivery services to their customers. Businesses in the sector providing these services should follow the published Government guidance for people who work in or run restaurants, pubs, bars, cafes or takeaways.

How can I make my workplace COVID-secure?

Key points include:

  • Completing and displaying your COVID-19 risk assessment.
  • Increasing frequency of cleaning
  • Ensuring good ventilation by keeping doors and windows open where possible (fire doors should not be propped open) and running ventilation systems at all times.
  • Enabling social distancing

What are the legal requirements my business needs to comply with?

  • Ask customers to wear a face covering while on your premises to pick up an order.
  • Ensure staff wear face coverings when in customer facing areas, unless they have an exemption.
  • You must not ask someone who is being required to self-isolate to come to work. If an employer is reasonably believed to be in breach of this requirement, they may be issued with a Fixed Penalty Notice 
  • Stop offering takeaway after 11pm. Delivery, click-and-collect or drive-through can continue after 11pm. Alcohol can only be provided via delivery services.

Additional resources:

Hotels and other guest accommodation

The visitor economy

Indoor and outdoor leisure facilities and entertainment venues are required to close from 5 January. Hotels and guest accommodation allowed to remain open should follow the guidance outlined in the section above.

Government Support for the Tourism, Hospitality & Leisure Sector

Test and Trace for Tourism and Hospitality Businesses

Company Details

Lee House 90 Great Bridgewater Street Manchester M1 5JW
Company number


Follow Marketing Manchester

Proud to be part of